Throughout the journey of my career, I have felt fortunate to work within many different practice structures, including multi-disciplinary and specialized group practices both small and large. I made the choice in 2020 to embark on a solo physician practice with limited staff for the following inspiration points:
- Small practice size has been shown in studies to be associated with fewer preventable hospitalizations as patients experience improved ease of access to their solo physician, stronger clinical relationships, and improved continuity in their care.
- A solo physician practice allows for reduced overhead costs, improving my ability to see fewer patients per day and create more meaningful interactions in longer visits. This allows for more deep and personal clinical interactions which is the greatest reward for me as a physician.
- A solo physician model reduces communication barriers between the patient and the doctor.
- A solo physician model utilizes innovative medical technology platforms to allow patients to have unlimited access to the care and information they need, when they need it. Minimizing staff and replacing with an online vector vastly improves accessibility to important clinical information and educational materials.
- As a solo physician, I have chosen to embrace information systems that can support my clinical efforts, and allow me to communicate evidence based standards of care more efficiently through patient portal, as well as have personal oversight to computerized care reminders, online clinical resources, have patient visits remotely, and interpret test results faster. I have taken oversight of nearly all clinical interactions into my own hands to facilitate more personalized medical care experience.
- A solo physician model for me is founded on the concept of value based care that allows both myself as a physician to experience a vital clinical practice, and embrace a spirit of innovation in efforts to deliver exceptional personalized and individually tailored medical care.
In short, a solo physician model is how I believe I can be the best doctor I can be, and provide the most effective, personal healthcare available.